The UNESCO International Centre for Biotechnology (UNESCO ICB) was established through agreement between the Federal Government of Nigeria and the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), to carry out biotechnology related research and training in three thematic areas – food security, tropical diseases and bioresources conservation.
As part of the Centre’s human capital development programme, applications are invited from qualified Nigerian students in tertiary academic institutions under the annual Scholarship programmes. Each successful applicant will receive an award for one academic year towards tuition fee, accommodation, books and living expenses.
- Evidence that the students currently registered in a tertiary academic institution in Nigeria for the category of award applied.
- Course of study is biotechnology or biotechnology related disciplines including agriculture, biosciences bioengineering, etc. relevant to the Centre’s thematic areas – food security, tropical diseases, and bioresources conservation.
- Current cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is at least 2nd Class Upper (2:1) at the time of application or the most recently completed degree for MSc and PhD students.
- Preference will be given to First Class students and/or those at the top of their class.
- Not more than one (1) award per scholarship category per thematic area from any academic institution. For instance, more than one (1) award may not be made for MSc Scholarship in Tropical Diseases from one institution.
Other Requirements for the Awards:
- Final awards will maintain both national spread and gender balance.
- Successful candidates will attend the Award Ceremony in person at designated venue and make an oral presentation of the final year project or thesis research findings.
- The awardee will acknowledge the Centre in all publications (eg. thesis, scientific paper, conference paper) arising from the research project / thesis.
- The awarded shall deposit a copy of all publications arising from the project / thesis at the Centre in both digital and hard copies.
- All applications received will be acknowledged; however, only successful applicants will be contacted further. The decision of the Scholarships Awards Committee is final.
Documents Required for Application
Each application must include the following documents:
- Motivation letter by the student
- Copies of current student ID and admission letter
- Copies of current certificates and academic transcripts, andSupporting letter from current Head of Department (HOD) on official letterhead, confirming the students’ academic status
- Candidates must ensure that their complete applications are received by the deadline.
- Incomplete applications and those received after the deadline will not be considered.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected] using “Application for 2021 Scholarship” as the subject of the mail.