Artificial intelligence and machine learning expertise on the African continent is set to get a major boost, thanks to prestigious scholarships to be awarded for postgraduate studies in the fields of applied mathematics, statistics, electrical and electronic engineering and computer science at Stellenbosch University (SU).
SU is the first African university to be awarded these scholarships by DeepMind, a London-based world leader in artificial intelligence research and its application in the real world. DeepMind was established in London in 2010 and its DeepMind Scholarships are part of a wider initiative by the company to broaden participation in science and support the wider research ecosystem, including in Africa.
The MSc in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence is a one-year structured master’s programme at Stellenbosch University, designed for students with a strong mathematical and computational background. It will equip you with the fundamentals of ML and AI, plus a suite of sophisticated techniques and concepts at the research forefront of these fields.
These scholarships will be available to students from all over sub-Saharan Africa who wish to pursue research related to machine learning, with recipients selected by the University to commence their courses in 2022. The DeepMind Scholarship programme gives talented students from groups currently underrepresented in machine learning, including women, the support that they need to study at leading universities. Fees are paid in full and recipients are provided with guidance and support from DeepMind mentors.
The scholarships cover university fees, health insurance, accommodation, living expenses, and opportunities for international conference attendance.
Recipients will also benefit from mentorship by DeepMind researchers.
Go to Stellenbosch University on mlai.sun.ac.za to apply
- Go to the applicant portal on SUNStudent, create a profile if you haven't already, and log in.
- Click on "Programme selection".
- Faculty: "Faculty of Science-Stellenbosch"
- Programme type: "Postgraduate"
- Programme: "MSc (Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence)", full-time or part-time
- Complete the required information from the menus on the left panel.
- Under "Upload documents" you will be asked for:
The letter of motivation can be short (1 page), on why you want to complete this programme, what you hope to get out of it, and what you might want to do after the programme. The statement of research interest can be a short (1 page) letter on any specific interests you currently have within the fields of ML and AI.
- a comprehensive CV
- a letter of motivation
- a statement of research interest
- Note that you do not need to identify an academic supervisor. Accepted students will have an opportunity after the start of the programme to speak to potential supervisors and indicate research project preferences.
- If you are happy with the terms, submit your application. Note that there is an application fee of R100 for South African applicants (no fee for international applicants or current SU students).
For general information on the online application process, study fees, support services, and more, follow this link to Stellenbosch University’s website for prospective postgraduate students.