A Princeton in Africa fellowship experience is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for personal and professional development and growth. It is often described as a way to get a foot in the door of the field of development on the African continent. It is also an opportunity to join a growing community of passionate PiAf alumni.
The fellowship experience varies greatly depending on placement and organization. Some Fellows work closely with a supervisor or colleague(s); others work more independently. Some Fellows work in offices that are filled with local staff; others work with a high number of expatriates. Some Fellows live in urban areas like Johannesburg and Nairobi; others are based in very rural areas with limited resources.
No matter the host organization or the location, all fellowships are 12 months long and all Fellows experience support from Princeton in Africa staff, alumni, and other Fellows. Community is a PiAf guarantee.
The Princeton in Africa experience is an investment on the part of each Fellow, each fellowship organization, and Princeton in Africa. The following funding arrangements are in place.
- Transportation to and from 2024-25 Fellowship Application can be found here.
- $350 program placement fee upon acceptance of a post
- Round-trip airfare to and from post in their host country.
- Pre-departure medical expenses (immunizations, malaria prevention meds, personals meds, visit for completing medical release form)
- Depending on post, Fellow may contribute to visa or work permit costs
Note: PiAf is committed to ensuring all applicants are able to participate in the program regardless of financial need. Once placed, there is an available financial aid application for Fellows with demonstrated need. Applicants with demonstrated need upon completion of their application should reach out directly to .
Princeton in Africa/Fellowship Organizations cover*:
- Housing and living stipend
- Certain visas/work permits
- Medical, medical evacuation, security evacuation insurance
- Pre-departure orientation housing and meals
- Mid-year Retreat partial travel allowance and meals/housing
*Fellowship packages vary post-to-post: details will be provided in the offer letter prior to a Fellows acceptance