MasterCard Foundation offers scholarships for first-time undergraduate or postgraduate degree-seeking African students at the University of Cape Town (UCT), in South Africa for the 2022/2023 academic session.
The scholarships ensure a premium educational package that will produce graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognized and locally applicable, and whose transition into the workforce is underpinned by values of engaged citizenship and social justice.
These scholarships cover the full period of study and are renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the programme. Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to return to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
University of Cape Town Information
Established in 1918, University of Cape Town is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the suburban setting of the large city of Cape Town (population range of 1,000,000-5,000,000 inhabitants), Western Cape. Officially accredited and/or recognized by the Department of Higher Education and Training, South Africa, University of Cape Town (UCT) is a large (uniRank enrollment range: 20,000-24,999 students) coeducational higher education institution. University of Cape Town (UCT) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as pre-bachelor degrees (i.e. certificates, diplomas, associate or foundation degrees), bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. See the uniRank degree levels and areas of study matrix below for further details. This 101 years old higher-education institution has a selective admission policy based on entrance examinations and students' past academic record and grades. International applicants are eligible to apply for enrollment.
In order to be considered for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must be:
- Academically talented – value learning and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged – facing significant financial barriers to completing their education.
- Committed to giving back – investing in their communities, using the skills and knowledge that they have acquired.
- Future leaders – committed to embracing ethical leadership and making a positive change in their home communities.
The Scholarship includes:
- Comprehensive financial assistance with visa applications, travel, tuition, living expenses, medical aid, and accommodation.
- A relevant and recognized education through academic curricula aimed at producing graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognized and locally applicable.
- Academic and peer mentor support – to ensure that each Scholar successfully progresses academically.
- An array of cultural and transition support and training aimed at academic and professional enrichment and assisting in the challenges facing university going students.
- Career and internship opportunities in Africa, service learning, experiential learning – career guidance and support for the transition to further study or the workforce.
- Leadership development and training.
- Alumni networks for further support.
In order to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program;
- Applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement.
- Only applicants, who have applied for academic study and placement to UCT, can submit an application for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship.
- Step 1: academic application; In preparing an academic application to UCT, it is essential that applicants refer to various resources for guidance.
- UCT’s undergraduate and postgraduates prospectus provides information on courses at UCT, how to apply to the University, as well as support structures available for undergraduate students at the University.
- Step 2: Collate the necessary supporting documents to Strengthen your academic application
- Step 3: Apply online for academic study and placement