Lagos Agripreneurship Program (L.A.P.) is a social intervention programme aimed at exposing the youth to agriculture via training utilising modern agricultural techniques and practices towards job and wealth creation.
Agriculture is the backbone many economies, averaging 25% or more of GDP in several developing countries and representing a prime opportunity to employ the youth. Considering the ageing population of food producers in the country, with the average age stemmed at 60+, it behoves on the government to drive inclusive strategies that engage the target group in agricultural food production. Lagos is not left behind in this drive, and as such initiated programmes targeted at youth participation in the sector through its Ministry of Agriculture to mitigate some of the challenges identified as preventing the youth from fully engaging in agriculture – most notably lack of financing, land, markets and training.
Some of the programmes initiated by the administration of Mr. Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu conceptualised the establishment of the Lagos Agripreneurship Programme (L.A.P.) in year 2020 as a social intervention programme aimed at exposing the youth to agriculture via training utlilizing modern agricultural techniques and practices towards job and wealth creation. The programme aims to train 15,000 youth across four value chains namely poultry, aquaculture, vegetable and piggery within the next 5 years.
Lagos State Agripreneurship Training Programmeis open to suitable qualified candidates for placement into the One-Month Training in Poultry, Aquaculture, Vegetable Value Chains, E-Agric, and Agribusiness at the Lagos State Agricultural Training Institute (ATI), Araga, Epe.
- Possess a minimum of Senior Secondary School Certificate
- Have a satisfactory physical/health condition
- Be between the ages of 18-35 for males and 18-40 years for females
At the completion of training, participants will also undergo a three (3) month internship and mentorship phase of L.A.P in their chosen value chains.
What are the Agro enterprise support initiatives of the ministry.
- Agric. Value Chain Enterprise Support Activation Program
- Lagos Agric Scholars Programme
- Snailery Programme
- Coconut Value Chain Development
- Lagos Aquaculture Centre for Excellence
- Urban Farming Initiative
Go to Lagos State Ministry of Agriculture on www.lapapplication.com to apply
- Qualified Applicants are required to visit the LAP APPLICATION PORTAL to fill the online application form.
- Applicants should follow the online instructions on filling the registration form and upload required documents (Applicant's LASRRA Card and Academic Credentials)
- Applicants are advised to take pictures of the above mentioned documents and store on their Smart Phones, Tablets or Laptop / Desktop computers prior to accessing the registration portal. This is for the ease of uploading the documents on request.
- Applicants are instructed to fill in all required details as failing to do so would render their application incomplete
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified through SMS to attempt online Aptitude Test on dates to be slated for each month.