The IOM Youth Ambassador Initiative aims to strengthen youth voices and provide a platform for youth as agents of change in the field of migration. By amplifying youth voices, promoting safe, orderly, and regular migration, and fostering youth-inclusive policies, the initiative seeks to create a more inclusive and sustainable future for all.
The Migration Youth Ambassadors will work closely with IOM for a period of one year to advocate for safe, orderly, dignified, and inclusive migration, including on climate mobility, human trafficking, xenophobia, and health, and to empower young people in their communities to participate in dialogues on migration and related issues.
The objectives of the Youth Ambassador Initiative:
- Amplify youth voices: The initiative aims to provide a platform for young people to express their perspectives, create content and ideas, and share experiences on migration-related matters. By amplifying youth voices, the initiative seeks to foster a more inclusive and representative approach to migration governance.
- Advocate for youth-inclusive and youth-sensitive policies: The Youth Ambassadors will advocate for policies that prioritize the well-being of youth in host, transit, and destination communities as well as young migrants who are members of diaspora and facilitate their meaningful participation in migration-related discussions and decision-making processes.
- Promote safe, orderly, regular, and dignified migration: The Youth Ambassadors will engage in advocacy efforts to promote access to information and resources related to migration and legal pathways.
- Empower young people: Through capacity building, mentorship, and knowledge sharing, the Youth Ambassadors will be empowered to become effective advocates and change-makers in their communities. They will develop leadership skills, enhance their understanding of migration issues and their interaction with other issues, and gain the confidence to address these issues effectively in collaboration with, and support of, partners including governments, local authorities, the private sector, etc.
Through this initiative, participating Youth Ambassadors will:
- Make a difference in their communities and help the issues that youth are facing
- Develop leadership, public speaking, and media engagement skills
- Enhance understanding of migration issues and gain the confidence to address these issues effectively
- Gain opportunities for personal growth, networking, skills development, and tools necessary to drive positive change in their communities
- Meet other peers working on the same issues and build a strong youth network