The Entrepreneurs’ Organization’s Global Student Entrepreneur Awards (GSEA) is the premier global competition for student entrepreneurs who actively run a business. EO GSEA is an exclusive opportunity for student entrepreneurs to make connections, find resources, and grow their businesses!
If you are crazy enough to run a business between classes, this is the competition for you. The competition is for undergraduate students (pursuing a bachelor’s degree). The competition is first run geographically then globally. Find a region close to you and then apply.
Application Timeline: Deadlines vary according to Regions. Pitch dates for competitions in Africa are listed below:
- Kenya – 20th Jan 2023
- Lagos – 28th Feb 2023
- Tanzania – 28th Feb 2023
- Zambia – 28th Feb 2023
- South Africa – 28th Feb 2023
- GSEA Finals: 25-26 May 2023
- You must be enrolled for the current academic year in a university/college as an undergraduate or graduate* student at the time of application. Full-time enrollment is not required; part-time enrollment is acceptable.
- You must be the owner, founder or controlling shareholder of your company and principally responsible for its operation. Each company can be represented by only one owner/co-founder.
- Your business must have been in operation for at least six consecutive months prior to the application.
- Your business must have generated US $500 or received US $1000 in investments at the time of application.
- You should not have been one of the top seven finalists from any previous year’s GSEA Global Finals Competition.
- The age cap for participation is 30 years of age.
Graduate students are eligible to apply only if they have continually enrolled in a university following their undergraduate degree and not left school to work on their business or to seek other employment. Exceptions can be made for students who have taken up to 12 months’ break before beginning their postgraduate education.
Prizes are generally a combination of cash and business services, and will vary by location.
- Access to successful entrepreneurs. Feedback. Mentorship.
- Students will represent their business and country on a worldwide stage in Toronto, Canada
- Refined elevator pitches. Going head to head with other business owners and answering tough questions about their business to our judges helps competitors improve their pitch skills and enhance their ability to communicate the value proposition of their business.
- Additional awards are given at the Global Finals for Social Impact, Innovation, and Lessons from the Edge.
- At the Global Finals, students compete for a prize package of US$20,000 in cash and a total value of over $40,000, which includes a travel/lodging expense paid trip to compete in GSEA Finals in Toronto, Canada. Second place will receive US$10,000 and third place will receive US$5,000.Additional awards are given at the Global Finals for Social Impact, Innovation, and Lessons from the Edge.
Go to Entrepreneurs' Organization on www.gsea.org to apply
- Fill out the online application at Apply Now
- If selected to compete, someone from GSEA will contact you to give you further information on the location of the competition and how to prepare.