UBC offers approximately 50 scholarships each year across all four awards. You won’t select which award you wish to receive when you submit your application – our team will automatically consider you for the awards that you are eligible for.
The Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award recognizes outstanding international undergraduate students from impoverished or war-torn areas who have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances, and who would be unable to attend university without financial assistance. UBC’s International Scholars have the potential to make a difference in the world.
They are high academic achievers who have demonstrated exceptional extracurricular activities, show a desire to create global change, and they are dedicated to giving back to their schools and communities.
The University of British Columbia Information
Established in 1908, The University of British Columbia is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the urban setting of the large city of Vancouver (population range of 1,000,000-5,000,000 inhabitants), British Columbia. This institution has also branch campuses in the following location(s): Kelowna. Officially accredited and/or recognized by the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training, British Columbia, The University of British Columbia (UBC) is a very large (uniRank enrollment range: 40,000-44,999 students) coeducational higher education institution. The University of British Columbia (UBC) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as pre-bachelor degrees (i.e. certificates, diplomas, associate or foundation degrees), bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. See the uniRank degree levels and areas of study matrix below for further details. This 111 years old higher-education institution has a selective admission policy based on entrance examinations and students' past academic record and grades. The admission rate range is 40-50% making this Canadian higher education organization a averagely selective institution. International applicants are eligible to apply for enrollment.
To be considered for the International Leader of Tomorrow Award:
- • You must be an international student who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian study permit.
- • You must be entering UBC from a recognized secondary school, or transferring from your first year at a post-secondary college or other university.
- • You must have graduated from high school no earlier than the month of June two years prior to the academic year you are applying to. For example, applicants for 2022 must have graduated from high school no earlier than June 2020.
- • You must be applying for your first undergraduate degree.
- • You must demonstrate superior academic achievement (achieve all As or equivalent standard).
- • You must demonstrate a level of financial need that would otherwise prevent you from pursuing a UBC degree.
- • You must meet UBC’s admission requirements, including general and degree-specific requirements and the English Language Admission Standard.
The value of the Award is proportional to your demonstrated financial need and sufficient to cover living expenses and tuition costs for your degree of study.
The Award may be renewed for up to three additional years of undergraduate study or to degree completion – whichever comes first – provided you achieve satisfactory academic standing in your faculty, continue to demonstrate financial need, and maintain your Canadian study permit (student visa).
To apply for the International Scholars program, you must be nominated by your school or non-profit, and submit a reference from an academic referee. Confirm that your school or non-profit is able to nominate you, and inform your nominator and academic referee that you’d like to apply for the International Scholars Program.
Submit your award application and complete the online application for admission to UBC by 1 December 2021. You must meet the UBC English Language Admission Requirement by1 February 2022.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the online application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.