The Amsterdam Science Talent Scholarship (ASTS) offered by the Faculty of Science of the University of Amsterdam is aimed at non Dutch talented students from the European Union / European Economic Area who choose to do a Science Master’s programme. It is a full scholarship of € 12,500 (covering tuition and living expenses) for one academic year with the possibility of extension for a second year for two-year Master’s programmes.
Universiteit van Amsterdam Information
Established in 1632, Universiteit van Amsterdam (University of Amsterdam) is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the urban setting of the medium-sized city of Amsterdam (population range of 500,000-1,000,000 inhabitants), North Holland. Officially accredited and/or recognized by the Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschap, Nederland (Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, Netherlands), Universiteit van Amsterdam (UvA) is a very large (uniRank enrollment range: 30,000-34,999 students) coeducational higher education institution. Universiteit van Amsterdam (UvA) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. See the uniRank degree levels and areas of study matrix below for further details. This 387 years old higher-education institution has a selective admission policy based on entrance examinations and students' past academic record and grades. International applicants are eligible to apply for enrollment.
Candidates for the ASTS are selected on the basis of their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field as evidenced by:
- the candidate’s academic records. Students belonging to the top 10% of graduates from their class can apply. This means an overall grade point average equivalent to at least:
- 3.5 (GPA American system)
- 1st class honours / upper division British system
- 8+ (Dutch EC-system); the academic quality of the educational institute where the undergraduate (or graduate) programme has been obtained;
- at least two letters of reference from academic staff members;
- the quality of the letter of motivation (maximum 500 words) in which the candidate explains the reasons for choosing the specific Master’s programme (broader context, relevance for future career);
- a description of extracurricular activities such as participation in student commissions, international experience, sports or music at a high level or volunteer work;
- proof of English proficiency (IELTS/TOEFL) :TOEFL (internet-based) - overall score of 100 (with a minimum score of 22 in each of the different components), IELTS (academic) - overall score of 7.0 (with at least 7.0 in each of the four components);
- the quality of the application as a whole (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
Application for the ASTS is part of the application procedure for the Master’s programme of your choice at the University of Amsterdam. Please follow the steps mentioned on the UvA ASTS scholarship page carefully.