Aalto University is offering scholarships to pursue master degree programme in the field of Business and Economics, Science and Technology, Art and Design for the academic year 2017-2018. Scholarships are awarded to support non-EU/EEA citizens who study in a fee-charging degree programme.
Aalto University specialises in science, art, technology and business. The university has improved markedly in rankings specific to these fields, and places high in the ranking lists. There are between 17 000 and 22 000 universities in the world, about 1 000 in Europe, about 70 in the Nordic Countries, and 14 in Finland.
Founded in 2010, Aalto-yliopisto (Aalto University) is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the suburban setting of the small city of Espoo (population range of 250,000-499,999 inhabitants), Uusimaa. This institution has also branch campuses in the following location(s): Helsinki. Officially accredited and/or recognized by the Opetus- ja kulttuuriministeriö, Suomi (Ministry of Education and Culture, Finland), Aalto-yliopisto (A?) is a large (uniRank enrollment range: 10,000-14,999 students) coeducational higher education institution. Aalto-yliopisto (A?) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. See the uniRank degree levels and areas of study matrix below for further details. This 9 years old higher-education institution has a selective admission policy based on entrance examinations and students' past academic record and grades. The admission rate range is 10-20% making this Finnish higher education organization a most selective institution. International students are welcome to apply for enrollment.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration
If you have an appropriate Finnish or non-Finnish university or university of applied sciences degree you may apply directly to a Master’s programme to take the degree of Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration.
You need to apply in one of the two admission groups based on the degree granting eligibility to apply.
- ADMISSION GROUP 1: Applicants with Finnish lower university degree in “Economics and Business Administration”
- ADMISSION GROUP 2: Applicants with Finnish university degree other than in “Economics and Business Administration”, university of applied sciences/polytechnic degree or non-Finnish university or university of applied sciences/polytechnic degree
To be eligible to apply to a Master’s programme or major in the field of Art and Design, you must have completed one of the following degrees:
- Finnish Bachelor’s degree from a Finnish university of applied sciences
- Finnish Bachelor’s degree from a Finnish university
- Finnish Master’s degree from a Finnish university
- Foreign degree from a foreign university or institution, giving eligibility for Master’s level studies in that particular country or
- Other equivalent studies or skills and knowledge
- The application must include officially certified copies of school, work or course certificates which the applicant considers significant for the selection process and which show that the applicant has skills and knowledge in the relevant field equivalent to the above-mentioned degrees. If you apply on the basis of other equivalent studies, your eligibility will be determined by Admission Services in collaboration with the programme’s selection committee.
- Master of Science in Technology or Architecture
Applicants with an appropriate degree from a university or a university of applied sciences may apply directly to a master’s programme in the field of science and technology at Aalto University. Admissions are organized once a year and applications are accepted only during the application period.
Applicants are eligible to apply for master-level studies in the field of science and technology if they have completed:
- A 3–4-year bachelor’s degree from a university or the equivalent education. The degree must entitle the graduate to apply for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in question.
- A polytechnic degree (Finnish university of applied sciences, ammattikorkeakoulu).
- A polytechnic degree in an EU country if the degree entitles the graduate to apply for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in question.
The university has to fulfil the following criteria:
- The university must be an official and recognized part of the national education system.
- The university has to be found on an official list or in an international handbook that is completed by some international organization (e.g. UNESCO).
- A first cycle higher education degree (a bachelor’s degree from a university or a polytechnic) grants eligibility to apply to a master’s programme. It is not possible to apply to a master’s programme on the basis of a master’s degree. The only exceptions are one-tier degree programmes where the first cycle degree is not compulsory or the so-called long cycle degrees. If you have completed or are currently pursuing some other degree in addition to the bachelor’s degree, you can list one additional degree on the application form. A licentiate or doctoral degree (third cycle degrees) do not grant eligibility to apply to master-level studies and they are not to be listed on the application form.
- Admitted students may be required to take complementary studies to gain the knowledge and skills required for the studies.
- In the field of technology at Aalto University, a student may only have one valid study right in a degree programme at any given time. If a student accepts a new study place in a degree programme at the same level (e.g. Master of Science in Technology) the old study right is forfeited.
Aalto University the tuition fee for master’s programmes is €15 000 per academic year.
- Aalto University has a scholarship programme to support non-EU/EEA citizens who study in a fee-charging degree programme. At Aalto University, the scholarships will be granted in the form of a tuition fee waiver. Scholarships may cover 100 % or 50 % of the tuition fee. The number of scholarships is limited.
- The scholarships do not cover living costs. Students are expected to cover living expenses (app. EUR 800 per month) and other study related costs from their own financial resources.
- Non-EU/EEA citizens who are liable to pay tuition fees can apply for the Aalto University scholarship. The applicant can apply for the Aalto University scholarship at the same time they apply for a Master’s programme with the same application form during the application period. It is not possible to apply for the scholarship after the application period has ended. The scholarship decisions are made on the basis of academic evaluation of the applicants selected to the study programmes. The scholarship decision is given together with the admission decision.
An application consists of the application form which needs to be filled out and submitted online, as well as the printed and signed cover letter, a set of compulsory documents listed here, and additional documents if they are required by the study options you are applying for. You can fill in the application form in the application system during the application period (15 December 2016 – 25 January 2017 3 pm). You can print the cover letter once you have filled in, saved and submitted the application form in the application system. Please read the instructions for applying and the programme-specific evaluation criteria very carefully before filling in the application form or submitting any documents.
Make sure to deliver all the documents you wish to be taken into consideration in the application process within the application period. Documents delivered after the given deadline cannot be taken into consideration in the evaluation of the application. Applicants will not be requested to supplement the application with programme-specific, additional documents.
- An officially attested copy of an official Bachelor’s degree certificate/diploma
- Authorised translation of the degree certificate/diploma
- An official transcript of records
- Authorised translation of the transcript of records
- Copy of passport or an official identification indicating the citizenship of the applicant
- A demonstration of language proficiency, i.e. language test scores